Virtual Care Appointments
Caring For You, Virtually
Virtual Care appointments with Lowell CHC allow you to connect with your provider safely and privately from the comfort of your home. Video appointments are a convenient, easy way to get care from your provider without having to travel to the health center.
Preparing for Virtual Care Video Appointment
- You will receive an appointment reminder via text within 48 hours of your scheduled appointment with instructions on how to join your video appointment.
- You do not need to download any apps or register for any webpages for your video appointment.
- Be in a quiet, private space with your smartphone at time of appointment. If you do not have a smartphone, your provider will call you over the telephone.
- Do not perform activities, like driving, or multitasking during your appointment time.
- Eliminate distracting background items, like lighting, pets or other people from your space.
- Confirm you are connected to internet or cellular data.
- Have your medications handy.
- Use headphones to ensure good quality sound.
- Note: If your provider is running more than 30-minutes late for your virtual appointment, you can call 978-937-9700 to reschedule.
Joining a Video Appointment
- You will receive a text from 88286 with a link to join around your scheduled appointment time. Click the link to join your appointment.
- You will need to allow microphone and camera access.
- Once the video is connected:
- Position your face in center of camera frame.
- Make sure your provider can see you clearly.
- If possible, set up device at eye level on a flat surface.
- Make sure you are in a quiet private place where you can comfortably speak to your provider.
- Share your medical concerns, experience, and questions with your provider.
- All conversations are private and HIPAA compliant.
- If you get disconnected, you can rejoin by clicking “Rejoin” or clicking the link in text again.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are Virtual Care video appointments?
Virtual Care video appointments allow you to connect with your provider and care team using your smartphone. Video appointments with your provider are an easy, low-stress way to access healthcare without having to come to the health center.
Why use video appointments?
Video appointments are safe, easy, convenient, and confidential way to receive the same high-quality care you get in person.
Is my video appointment safe?
Yes, Lowell Community Health Center uses a HIPAA-compliant video platform called Doximity. No one else can see or hear the video appointment between you and your provider.
I am having trouble connecting to a video call. Any ideas?
Make sure you have a strong Internet connection; video calls can be joined using wifi or cellular data.
Will insurance pay for my video appointment?
The Health Center accepts many forms of insurance including, MassHealth and private health insurance. We will bill your insurance for the virtual appointment. Similar to in person appointments, you may have copay (shared cost) based on your insurance plan.
If you have any questions about your insurance coverage or financial responsibility, please contact the billing department by calling 978-937-9700.
What if I don’t have insurance?
Services are available on a sliding fee scale for those who may qualify. We have Enrollment Staff that can help you obtain insurance coverage. No one will be denied access to care because of inability to pay.
What if I don’t have a smartphone?
If you don’t have a smartphone, your provider will either place a telephone call to you or schedule you to come on site.
If you are waiting for your provider to log onto your appointment/your provider is running late, can you reschedule?
Yes. To reschedule, call 978-937-9700.
Can I have/schedule a virtual care visit from a Lowell Community Health Center provider if I am outside of Massachusetts?
No. In order to have a virtual appointment, you must be located in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
Do I need to download anything to start my virtual appointment?
No, you do not have to download anything to have your appointment.
How far before my appointment will I receive an appointment reminder?
You will receive an appointment reminder via text within 48 hours of your scheduled appointment with instructions on how to join your video appointment.
What is telehealth?
Some healthcare providers use the term “Telehealth” to describe Virtual Care. You may see or hear that term used interchangeably with “Virtual Care” depending on where you are being seen.
What should I do about a referral?
Should you need a referral, or have questions about referrals, call our Referral Office at 978-322-8745 Monday-Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.